Cheese this week comes from several local producers as well as Cabot.
Based in Stephentown, NY, Four Fat Fowl has three cheeses on offer:
• The triple cream, called St. Stephen or just Steve, is a beautiful, hand-crafted triple cream that bursts with buttery and milky overtones. A smooth, silky interior made from all natural jersey cow’s milk and fresh jersey cream creates the perfect texture, while its soft, bloomy rind adds an earthy flavor with nutty undertones. St. Stephen will leave you wanting more to share with a friend and a glass of bubbly. This classic cheese works anytime of day – spread it on your toast for breakfast, serve it as an appetizer before dinner or dress it up with some honey or berries for a fancy dessert.
• The camembert, called Camembertha, is the latest creation. Not just another Camembert, this one has soul. A soft-ripened, bloomy rind with milky, vegetal tones. Bertha, you can come around here anytime!
• The ricotta, called Inagadda Ricotta, is so good you can eat it with a spoon for a healthy, protein-packed breakfast or lunch. Top with honey or maple syrup to bring it to the next level. This is unlike any ricotta you’ve ever eaten before. Made with fresh jersey milk and ladled by hand, this is a special treat you won’t want to miss.
Based in Williamstown, MA, Cricket Creek Farm has five cheeses on offer:
• Made from raw milk, Maggie's Round is a semi-firm cheese inspired by the tomas of the Italian Alps. The flavor is gently sharp, sweet, bright and fruity, with notes of citrus, especially lemon curd. The rustic natural rind adds earthiness.
• Made from raw milk, Maggie's Reserve is a longer-aged iteration of Maggie's Round. It has excellent aged flavor and is great for snacking, salads, melting, cooking, or anything in between.
• Made from raw milk, Tobasiboasts a custardy texture and aromas of mushrooms, garlic, and peanuts, with sweet and sour cream flavors. A washed-rind cheese inspired by Taleggio, it is a favorite for grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni & cheese.
• Made from pasteurized milk, Berkshire Bloom is a camembert-style cheese. Delicate in flavor, but durable in structure, this cheese has a thin and supple bloomy rind, a mushroomy creamline, and a tangy, mild interior.
• Made from pasteurized milk, Sophelise is a soft cheese with an identity all its own. It has a pungent washed rind for fans of Reblochon and a texture for lovers of Brie. It's a Cricket Creek original that even the experts can’t define.
• Made from pasteurized milk, the feta follows the traditional Greek style. Immersed in brine, it has a remarkably creamy and fresh flavor and texture, while still being suitably crumbly and salty.
Based in Groton, NY, Old Chatham Creamery makes a blue cheese in the traditional Roquefort-style. With a fudge-y texture the crumbles when sliced, this cheese is sweet, salty, and has a little kick of peppery spice at the finish.
Based in Bennington, VT, Maplebrook Farm is offering fresh mozzarella that comes in 8oz balls.