Weekend manager job description
The New Lebanon Farmers Market & Grocery is excited to announce that we are adding to our team! We are seeking a mission-driven manager focused on weekends.
Who We Are
The New Lebanon Farmers Market & Grocery is a year-round indoor market located in downtown New Lebanon, New York. We are driven by a three-fold mission:
➔ First, we support local and regional farmers and food producers in transporting, storing, promoting, marketing, and distributing their products.
➔ Second, we provide local residents and visitors with year-round and convenient access to delicious and nourishing food, including a wide variety of grocery items. We provide access to it through our website and brick-and-mortar location and by making pickups and deliveries convenient.
➔ Third, we encourage agricultural and other practices that contribute to the diversity, resilience, and justice of our local, regional, and global ecosystems. We help educate consumers on the benefits of locally and regionally produced food.
Our managers have a leadership role in developing and executing these services and will help manage our daily and weekly operations.
The ideal candidates will have some experience as a manager and a diverse set of experiences in agricultural and retail food settings. These experiences could include farming, working with farmers, producing food for sale, and working with food producers. They could also include operating a food business, serving food, and providing hospitality.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have an adventuresome disposition and a team-centric attitude. We thrive on change, making it happen collaboratively, and exceeding expectations. The ideal candidate will also understand New Lebanon and neighboring communities and will be inspired by the challenges of serving our diverse neighbors.
Manager for weekends
Manage retail and online experiences, including…
• Keeping our space clean, attractive, fully stocked, and accurately labeled;
• Assigning and supervising tasks performed by other staffers and volunteers when appropriate;
• Welcoming customers, answering their questions, fulfilling their orders, solving their problems in a friendly, neighborly manner;
• Placing and receiving orders from farms, food producers, and distributors; and
• Addressing other operational problems and issues as or before they arise.
Maintain our Shopify-powered inventory system and ecommerce website, including…
• Setting up and maintaining the website and
• Maintaining accurate inventories and prices and product descriptions.
Work closely with the director, general manager, and other managers including…
• Taking the initiative to identify and address problems and opportunities facing the operation; and
• Improving local and regional awareness of the market, expanding product offerings, growing sales volumes, and increasing efficiencies.
• At least three years of farming, food business, retail, or management experience
• Passion for local, sustainable agriculture, and food access and a desire to improve our food system
• Outgoing personality who enjoys meeting and chatting with lots of new people
• Solid project management skills with a proven ability to achieve results
• Solid writing and communication skills with a proven ability to motivate others
• Proficient at email
• Capable with word processing and spreadsheets, especially Google’s suite of services
• Flexibility and an openness to changes in direction
• Ability to lift 50lbs comfortably
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
This is a part-time position (about 30 to 35 hours) with work days Wednesday through Saturday or Thursday through Sunday. Compensation is $20–25/hour, depending on experience. Worker discount is 20%. Sick pay and vacation time are available after three months.
* * *
The New Lebanon Farmers Market & Grocery is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse applicants, including Black, Indigenous, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community, are warmly encouraged to apply.