Project Manager job description
The New Lebanon Farmers Market is hiring a full-time-equivalent Project Manager for our indoor farmers market.
The New Lebanon Farmers Market’s mission has three planks. The first is to help local and regional farmers and food producers market their goods. The second is to provide local residents and visitors with convenient access to delicious and nourishing food. The third is to encourage agricultural and other practices that contribute to the diversity, resilience, and justice of our local, regional, and global ecosystems.
Our indoor farmers market is a collection of services we offer producers and consumers. We help producers transport, store, and market their products, and we transmit payments from consumers and provide timely insights about sales. We educate consumers on the benefits of locally and regionally produced food and provide access to it through our website and brick-and-mortar location and by making pickups and deliveries convenient.
This Project Manager will have a leadership role in developing and executing these services and will manage the daily and weekly operations of the indoor farmers market.
The ideal candidate will have experience as a manager and a diverse set of experiences in agricultural and retail food settings. These experiences could include farming, working with farmers, producing food for sale, and working with food producers. They could also include operating a food business, serving food, and providing hospitality.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have an adventuresome disposition and a team-centric attitude. We thrive on change and making it happen collaboratively. The ideal candidate will also understand New Lebanon and neighboring communities and will be inspired by the challenges of serving our diverse neighbors.
- Work closely with the Director and Associate Director of the farmers market, including...
- Supporting collaboration between our indoor farmers market and complementary projects operated by the farmers market as well as projects operated by our close partners;
- Improving local and regional awareness of the market, expanding product offerings, growing sales volumes, and increasing efficiencies; and
- Supporting reporting for this project, especially gathering and organizing relevant data and key outcomes.
- Communicate with and support farmers and food producers, including...
- Researching and reaching out to new producers to include their products at the market,
- Helping producers determine what products to offer and at what prices,
- Coordinating with producers to help them get their products to market, and
- Reporting to producers to what consumers have purchased and how they have enjoyed the products.
- Maintain our Shopify-powered inventory system and ecommerce website, including...
- Setting up the website each week,
- Maintaining accurate inventories and prices and product descriptions, and
- Producing and distributing sales reports.
- Manage our brick-and-mortar location, including...
- Setting up and taking down the market and keeping it clean and attractive;
- Assigning and supervising tasks performed by other staffers and volunteers when appropriate;
- Welcoming customers, answering their questions, and fulfilling their orders; and
- Recruiting and managing volunteers.
- At least five years of farming, food business, retail, or management experience
- Passion for local, sustainable agriculture and food access and a desire to improve our food system
- Excellent project management skills with a proven ability to achieve results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a proven ability to motivate others
- Highly proficient at email, word processing, and spreadsheets, especially Google’s suite of services
- Flexibility and an openness to changes in direction
- Able to lift fifty pounds and work a long day once or twice a week
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Funds for this position come from a three-year grant from the United States Department of Agriculture. This is a contract position lasting three years, and its annual compensation is $48,000. That includes two weeks of vacation and sick days. There are currently no other benefits. The goal of the farmers market, however, is to retain this position and increase its compensation when the grant ends.
The New Lebanon Farmers Market is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse applicants, including Black, Indigenous, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community, are warmly encouraged to apply.